National (only for Bangladeshi nationals) employment opportunities
Posted on : April 02, 2019 Application deadline : April 08, 2019
Medical Technologist (Laboratory) with Clinical under the Laboratory Sciences and Services Division (Adv#78/2019)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Policy-makers and practitioners utilize our evidence and expertise to improve health outcomes and prevent premature death and disability worldwide. Established more than 50 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.Special Information – icddr,b is an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender or disability status.
- Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics: Process and prepare specimens and samples for testing and store leftover samples for further requirement; perform routine laboratory tests and assays independently in accordance with approved SOP and record data in appropriate worksheets for review and retention; Prepare controls, calibrators, reagents and chemicals and maintain log; Check and record sample quality, discard unused chemicals and replenish timely; Discard bio hazard materials and reagents as per SOP;perform Identification and Antimicrobial Susceptibility testing in automated system; Prepare requisition for stock and non-stock lab supplies and keep updated records; Report results when designated with maintaining strict confidentiality in order to carry out clinical laboratory diagnostics services effectively.
- Maintenance of Equipments: Perform in-house maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment according to maintenance plan and on demand for their optimum operation; detect malfunction; Perform minor trouble shooting and contact with bio-medical engineering for major troubleshooting and maintenance works; Keep legitimate records in order to ensure proper maintenance and safe and appropriate use of equipments to yield quality results of testing using optimal resources.
- Quality Assurance, Bio-Safety and Bio-Security: Train and adhere to quality and bio-safety procedures and practices from specimen reception to report authorization; Train newly hired staff and lab technician on quality and bio-safety procedures in order to protect personnel from risks within the laboratory as well as maintain quality of service delivered to stakeholders to comply with standards and guidelines of ISO15189 and ISO15190.
- People Management: Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organisation; Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed; Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions; Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b) in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
- Diploma in Medical/Laboratory Technology; However, candidates with B.Sc. in Medical/Laboratory Technology also can apply.
- 2-3 years work experience in ISO 15189 accreditated Clinical Microbiology Laboratory.
Knowledge of –
- Laboratory Equipments Usage
- Laboratory Testing Methods
- Specimen Collection and Handling Guidelines and Techniques also processing for test/storage.
- Waste Management Requirements
- Biohazards, Biosecurity and Biosafety Requirements
- Quality Assurance Standards
- Laboratory IT Systems
- Inventory Management Guidelines and Tools
- Daily Laboratory Reagent Preparation
- Laboratory Equipment Engineering
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) of Laboratories
Skill on –
- Organizational and Financial Awareness
- Drive for Results
- Innovative Thinking
- Collaborative Communication
- Building Effective Teams